Welcome to the Mainely Skiing Fall Email! This email will be sent straight to your inbox whenever we release new emails. In this email, we will highlight all the fall activities in or around the Rangeley Area!
Happy Fall! Believe it or not, this Wednesday was the Fall Equinox which marks the first day of fall. You know what that means Mainely Skiers, winter is just around the corner. Let’s all take fall to make sure you’re all set with your winter gear as fall is home to many ski swaps/sales and purchase your season pass for next year if you haven’t already. Below you can find links to the top ski mountains in Maine to purchase your pass.
Saddleback – saddlebackmaine.com
Sugarloaf – sugarloaf.com
Sunday River – sundayriver.com
Shawnee Peak – shawneepeak.com
Black Mountain of Maine – skiblackmountain.org
We all love a good leg burner day on the slopes. You can get the same great workout at Saddleback in the fall too! We welcome hikers! Here are some tips and rules to please keep in mind.
- There are two main hiking routes up Saddleback Mountain’s ski resort side. The road by way of Lower Green Weaver and the most direct route, Grey Ghost. It’s 1.8 miles from the lodge to the summit (via Grey Ghost + Tri Color) and another 1.7 miles to the Horn from the summit.
- Saddleback is Maine’s 3rd largest alpine zone, the ecosystem above tree line is extremely fragile, please always travel on durable surfaces such as rock or bare dirt. Please make sure you are only stepping on the marked trail.
- Plan ahead and prepare, pack plenty of water and extra layers, at over 4,000 feet the weather on the mountain will be much different than in town Rangeley. It can be cold and windy on the summit even in mid-summer.
- We all love our dogs, but please be considerate of other visitors, and the fragile ecosystem and keep dogs on leash above tree line.
- There is active construction going on during the summer and early fall at Saddleback. Please be aware of construction vehicle traffic and allow the vehicles to pass.
If you get hungry, the Fat Tire Mountain Bar has recently expanded its hours! Check it out along with the Hiking Information Page at the link below
As crazy as this might sound, Summer is almost over. But, just because I said that doesn’t mean we won’t continue to have hot days. Staying cool on those record setting days is easier said than done. Stay cool by taking a swim at Smalls Falls. With plenty of parking and restrooms available, this is the perfect family-friendly activity. If you haven’t been here already, you should! In fact, you’ve probably passed it on the way to Rangeley. Even if swimming isn’t your thing, you will still have a great time if you hit it during the peak for fall leaves! This place sure is special!
Upcoming Events At Saddleback:
- Guided Western Hikes – The last one will be this weekend, September 25th: Saddleback Mountain
- Family Fun – October 2
- Oktoberfest – October 9
- Football Sunday in the Pub! – Every Sunday through October 12-7 PM
- Sunday Brunch – New Sunday Breakfast Menu Served Every Sunday 9AM – 12 PM
- Yoga at the Lodge – Saturdays 9-10 AM
Upcoming Events At Sugarloaf:
- Trans New England – September 22
- Maine Outdoor Film Festive – October 9
- Homecoming Weekend – October 9-10 (Free scenic lift rides on the SuperQuad)
- Uphill Climb – October 10
Upcoming Events At Sunday River:
- Fall Festive – October 9-10
- North American Wife Carrying Championship – October 9
- New England Corn Hole Championship – October 10
- Merrill Hill construction is happening now. Towers went up this week!
Scenic Lift Rides – Chondola:
Take a ride up Sunday River’s Chondola to North Peak. The Chondola is dog, kid, and grandparent-friendly, so you’ll want to pack up your whole family for this scenic adventure. Lift rides are available from 10AM-4PM on Saturdays and Sundays from early July to mid-October. You can buy tickets online in advance, but will need to pick up your tickets upon arrival. You can also purchase tickets on-site at South Ridge Lodge. Lift tickets will be issued until 3:30PM or until capacity is reached. If you plan to ride the lift back to the bottom, please load before 4PM. For more information, visit the link below.
Scenic Lift Rides – SuperQuad:
Last weekend, Sugarloaf announced that the Outpost Adventure Center will be doing Scenic Lift Rides up Sugarloaf’s SuperQuad every Saturday and Sunday from 9:00am to 4:00pm. Take a ride up the SuperQuad to experience the fall foliage. If you plan to ride the lift back to the bottom, please load before 3:45PM. Please note: The top of the mountain is typically 15 degrees colder than the base, so be sure to bring a warm layer and weather can change quickly often times without warning. For more information and to get tickets, click the link below!
As it stands now, it looks like this weekend will be spent inside. However, there is still lots to do before the snow flies!
Happy Fall, Mainely Skiers!